Social Media Icons

 

Whitespace

 

Saturday 19 January 2019

Lego Theme Kit or Self-Designed

Welcome back to the Bizarre Lego Channel !!!

Taco Frisbee and I are discussing imagination. Specifically, are self-developed creations better than LEGO developed theme creations?

STEM education LEGO robots robotics Taco Frisbee
LEGO Scooby Doo Mystery Machine with Fred, Shaggy, and Scooby Doo

Taco Frisbee has always been about the process – building based on a theme kit or building based on a self-made design, it does not matter to TF as the journey from start to finish is all about the build.

I still think that self-imagined is best. I will admit that the build design of the new kits has taught me many new and different ways to build and is opening my mind to newer and better creator techniques. Also, as with the most recent build of the Mystery Machine, the theme kits can bring back some awesome childhood memories. My favorites builds are still among the ones I have self-developed though.

STEM education LEGO robots robotics Taco Frisbee
Little red DUPLO self-designed creature

What really determines how you feel about kits versus self-developed is probably in how you store your LEGOs. One sticking point between me and TF is that I break all the kits apart and store them completely mixed up in the giant LEGO bucket. TF wants to keep the kits built and show them off on the bookcase. I will not forget the last time I took apart the LEGO Voltron and mixed the pieces in with the LEGO Unikitty Unikingdom box set. I thought it would be OK since they were both cat related.

STEM education LEGO robots robotics Taco Frisbee
Irritated Taco Frisbee - "Do not mix the LEGOs!"

Tell me what you think in the comments below : LEGO kit or self-developed. For extra points, let me know if you mix your LEGO sets or keep them separated so you can rebuild to the original specifications!

1 comment:

  1. My household has several containers of legos... we mix our sets. The only one we've kept separate is the Star Wars® Millennium Falcon. Who wants to try to re-build that one?!! Most of our sets have a few pieces of each used at any given Lego® Session. This has allowed for several custom creations. The Lego® Store is always a stop for me when I'm traveling. I'm always curious to see what's considered popular in various areas. No Lego® Store to be found during my Battle of the Bulge Memorial Hike (https://bouncearoundtheworld.blogspot.com/). But maybe Lego® and I will meet again:)

    ReplyDelete